Friday, December 14, 2007

Seven Days And I'm Outta Here!

Can we get a "w00t w00t!"? Next Friday around 0900 I leave for Lamy, a town of approximately 135 people. That'll be fun.

This semester was fun. I got to read a load of books, and I'll be reading Thucydides when I get home. I think I'll get the Thomas Hobbes translation, despite a universal recommendation for the Landmark Edition (Crawley translation plus a bunch of maps and summaries). The Hobbes translation (yes, the Thomas Hobbes who wrote Leviathan) is so beautiful. It has the advantage of being of poetical beauty comparable to that of the King James Bible, while retaining cutting edge accuracy that, in David Grene's opinion (and probably mine after I read it) has not been equalled since.

Thucydides will be fun. I loved Herodotus, and think that he was a first-rate historian (you gotta get used to his recounting of myth and legend), but further that he was more objective than modern historians. We have so much to learn from these Greeks. History has a way of repeating itself. We all "know" that, but it never hit home for me until after the Iliad and The Histories. If we as a nation read more books like this, more struggles and wars could, in my opinion, be avoided.

This was a fun semester. I am of the mind that I am in the right place and that St. John's is the finest liberal arts school in the world. Period. There is no other school like this no matter where you look. Period.

This is a very disjointed post, with the effect being similar to that of driving a stickshift with bad use of the clutch. I apologize. But after writing so many papers, it is a relief to have the privilege of writing informally.

Oh, and it's snowing. We have about eight inches and more is on the way! Is it snowing back home in good old Illinois? And is it icy??

Aha! Dinnertime! See y'all next week!!
~Toodles!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Was Soloman wise?

of COURSE it is icy and snowy here

BradtheDad said...

Tim,
I am looking forward to hearing you at the piano again! I've got Ding Dong Merrily completely memorized as well as Linus and Lucy, and now working on toher Marilyn Ham Christmas song arrangements, and other Vince Guiraldi (Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown) arrangements. There's a Chestnuts Roasting on the Open Fire arrangement which really rocks!