Friday, February 15, 2008

Choices Choices

So I have two jobs lined up for me this summer. I suppose I should be grateful. After all, both will pay fairly well and enable me to get ahead on my next ream of Johnnie payments in '08/09. But choosing really sucks.

Job I is working as a wrangler (horse person) at HoneyRock Camp from May through August.

Job II is working at Buildings and Grounds (the dirty work place) at St. John's College in Santa Fe from May through August.

Neither of these jobs are new; I've been to HoneyRock every summer for the past six years, and I've worked at B & G for the past six months. Ideally I would get a job doing something brand new, terribly exciting, and wonderfully profitable: all in a completely different part of the country!! This dream does not mesh well with reality.

I would make $6.50/hour and get around 40 hours a week as a wrangler in Wisconsin, bringing my earnings to $1600-$2000, pessimistically/optimistically speaking. In contrast, I would make $9.50/hour at B&G and get 40 hours a week, putting my earnings at approximately $2200. (Santa Fe is a very expensive place to live)

HoneyRock is my favorite place in the whole world outside of St. John's, but I could really use the extra $200. Money or a wonderful summer in every sense of the word?

Ugh. I hate choices like this.

7 comments:

Abby said...

ouch

Anonymous said...

Hmm, that is difficult. Me personally I would probably do HoneyRock, but partially because you make it sound so much more appealing and I like horses. :-) It is a lot more per hour to do the other job though. But then again if you aren't going to net that much more... I don't know, hard decision.

mamagoose said...

Tim, go with Honey Rock.
You aren't going to net that much more at ST Johns-- AND you will have to report that income, possibly putting you over the amount you earn to making you have to pay taxes. Plus the transportation factor is way higher, going to and from NM.
Be a wrangler.

-- just your mom speaking

Abby said...

I agree with mom.

Zach says you had better be a wrangler too. he also says you probably won't get the chance everyday.

mamagoose said...

ANOTHER reason to be a wrangler: any money you would earn by staying at St John's would be eaten up and then some by the cost of getting back. (Assuming you are still transferring to Annapolis?)
Plus reporting more income will count against you, and the higher cost of living will not help.
Have we convinced you?

Philosoraptor said...

You sound like Crito convincing Socrates to run away. :\

mamagoose said...

Ehm, whatever. (smart-aleck egg-head kid with obscure literary references.)
The only way staying at St John's would make sense would be if you are definitely NOT transferring to Annapolis.
BTW, where does that stand?