Friday, February 22, 2008

Random Blurbs. Summer Job!!

So I have never been this tired. I figure that none of you has anything better to do than sit here and read this post, and considering I'm on four hours of sleep this could get pretty interesting/incoherant.

First off, I have the most wacked out schedule ever. If I didn't have work-study, I would get all my homework done on time every time. Summa, I would be a perfect student. As it is, finding time to replace the 10 hours a week that I work is very difficult. Last semester it meant not doing as well as I should, so this semester I chose doing all of my homework. Hence my insane schedule.

You know how most college students go to bed around 1 or 2:00 AM? I do that too, but then I get up around five thirty, five forty AM. I get my adrenaline pumping from Monday's seminar and my energy carries over to Wednesday night, but by Thursday morning I feel like death and Friday is just an endurance contest. I fix it by getting plenty of sleep over the weekend and the cycle begins again Monday morning.

Hokay. So I also have a summer job! I will be working at HoneyRock for three months (this makes seven consecutive years I've been to the North Woods) and then, if everything works out....

I'M GOING TO ANNAPOLIS!!

How awesome is that? I, who have never before lived in a city, might get to live 60 miles from Washington, right upriver from the Naval Academy (against whom St. John's competes in croquet), and smack dab on the Potomac? Annapolis is SWEET. The library has more than 100,000 volumes, and an entire separate library...all for music! (classical music, of course) It is absolutely perfect.

And now it is time for the weekend. Hoorays!

4 comments:

mamagoose said...

Being sleep deprived is the hallmark of the successful student... I had a schedule like yours during one spring quarter at NU when I was studying French, German, Greek and English. Lots and lots of vocab to cram into a ten week term! I often went to bed at 3am and got up at 6. And yes, felt like death on Friday afternoons.
keep it up, chief, keep it up.

Philosoraptor said...

Mother of Troy...

Four languages simultaenously?

I would burst.

mamagoose said...

Yeah, it was rough. Probably one of the hardest quarters I ever had. I also had Symphonic Band and a Swimming class (Red Cross Lifesaving Certificaion) making 6 classes when 4 was a full-time load.
Crazy! It also produced the best GPA I ever had: 4.0.
The things we do when we are young...

... you might consider NOT staying up til 1 or 2 am " like the average college student." Get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

I think my horror story about college comes from my second semester in California. I attended Cal State Univ Monterey Bay, doing 12hrs of all online class, while at the same time taking 15hrs at Monterey Penninsula college (enough to transfer in and earn my AA), tutoring a 5th grader in math every other day for an hour a day, and working 20-30hrs at a shoe store at the mall. Woo Hoo! College is fun.