Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Teacher Certification?

Does anyone know anything about becoming a certified teacher in the state of Illinois? (mamagoose?) The military is running a pilot program called Spouses to Teachers (similar to their Troops to Teachers) which will reimburse the cost for taking certifcation exams, and I don't know all of the details yet, but I also have no idea what all the certification process entails. I've already sent an email to the program representative in Illinois, but I was hoping I might be able to learn more while I wait for a response.

Thanks!

2 comments:

mamagoose said...

Hey, the little I know: each college has its own requirements for certification though they are state-wide (you choose an elementary track which certifies you for grades K-9, OR a secondary track focused on a subject matter (like English or history etc) and certification is for grades 6-12. )I do know that there are shortcuts; for example, the Chicago public schools have a fast track where you can teach w/o traditional certification. If the military has something in mind, they would be the ones to give you the info. Here is a web address for the Illinois state board of education; they have all the info you need (I think!) http://www.isbe.net/certification/html/becoming_teacher.htm

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I think I'll probably have to wait until nap time to continue looking into things, and I'm still waiting to hear back on my email. I'll let you know what I find out and what I end up doing.