Sunday, September 9, 2007

Tribute to Madeleine L'Engle

Madeleine L'Engle left this planet on Thursday last, at the age of 88. She was a great writer, producing more than 60 works that span more than 60 years and include children's literature, adult novels, poetry, plays and autobiography. Whether fact, fiction or fancy, her writing has had an impact on my thoughts and life for many years. I was privileged to hear her speak about her writing on two occasions, and I admire her honesty and ability to light the path, so to speak, of faith and life. She described herself as "a very Orthodox Christian", beyond denominational boundaries, a position I understand ever more clearly as the years pass.
My favorite children's book is probably Many Waters, a creative journey to the pre-flood world of Noah and his family. And I still enjoy The 24 Days Before Christmas every year as we prepare for our own advent season. The year we were waiting for Zachary to be born, at the end of December, I remember Dad looking up in shock as I read aloud to the other children the line, we have to face the possibility that mother may not be home for Christmas. Bless his heart, Zachary waited!
More than any other writer, her open honesty about life and faith and relationships have given me plenty of food for thought, especially in my early days of motherhood without tangible role models. She was a warm, wise woman with a sense of humor and deep love for God, who will be greatly missed.
"I know that when I am most monstrous, I am most in need of love. When my temper flares out of bounds it is usually set off by something unimportant which is on top of a series of events over which I have no control, which have made me helpless, and thus caused me anguish and frustration. I am not lovable when I am enraged, although it is when I most need love." ( from The Irrational Season) Who can argue?

2 comments:

Philosoraptor said...

FareWell Madeleine L'Engle.

Christian she was.

Orthodox she most certainly was not.

mamagoose said...

Orthodox as in, holding to the ancient creeds of the church (i.e. the apostles and nicene creeds). Certainly not in the more contemporary use, meaning ordinary or law-abiding!