Sunday, September 16, 2007

Weekly Update

So I have decided to post how stuff is going in New Mexico every week or so. Elena doesn't need to do this because she's a big grown up Junior but I am a wet freshman so I will do so.

This may mean I sort of monopolize the blog but the Other Authors have two options - post more to balance the page content or ban me from posting. Anyway, here we go!

So it's been a great week. I arranged to meet Mr. Pesic (musician in residence at St. John's) for lessons on Saturday the 22nd. I'll probably play my Bach, Chopin, and Schubert. If he wants to hear it I will play Rondo alla Turca.

The work here is pretty intense. Even though I only have four classes, Monday and Thursday I have classes pretty much all day, with small breaks for meals and whatnot. Those are also the days I have Seminar, so I'm not through until 2130 and then I just want to sleep.

Tuesday and Friday I only have one or two classes, but I work those days so studying time is drastically reduced. Same for Wednesday.

Mostly, the hardest days are the first three days and then it planes out. It's kind of tough to organize my time properly but I'm doing a fairly good job.

Friday was the Ark Party. The Sophmores make an ark (modelled after the Ark of the Covenant), put a beer keg inside of it, and carry it up the hill behind campus, an 800 foot summit; Camino de Monte Sol. There they have a wild party. Sadly, I did not go because it conflicted with the lecture that night, Jihad: The Muslim Concept of Holy War. I went to that instead and it was very interesting.

Today during church there was a baptismal service for about six babies. They, their parents, and their godparents were all around the baptismal fount. The pastor came over and started baptizing - no big deal, just take the naked baby, plunk it in the water, and presto! Done! The infants did not seem to mind either; four of the six accepted it without a qualm and even seemed to have fun, gurgling happily the way only babies can.

BUT - there was an exception. A male infant, when he was plunked in the water, let out a screech and began to howl. The congregation burst out laughing and the baby was baptized, with much applause. Fun times.

One last thing. During the past two weeks, I have been scoping out the Fine Arts Building and checking all the grand pianos they have. Curses, the class doors are locked most of the time! The six-foot Steinways are there behind the window, BUT I CAN'T REACH THEM! Torment!

But they are usually unlocked during the weekend. And Dad (make sure you tell him) will love this: they have a brand new Mason & Hamlin piano on the second floor. Yeah, tell Dad he can turn purple with envy now.

I am enjoying myself. So that's my week. Next fortnight, stay tuned to The Life of Timothy In Many Parts!

Toodles.

6 comments:

mamagoose said...

Glad it was a good week.
I do have to say that I like elena's layout better.
Do you not have enough to do to keep you busy???

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim.
This is my FOURTH year.
Hence, not a junior.
Get it straight.
Jeez.
<3 e

mamagoose said...

No offense, Tim, it was just so... green.

mamagoose said...

... and Tim, are you going to services in the St. Francis cathedral? and did they take you on a sightseeing trip yet to see the Staircase in the Loretto chapel?

Abby said...

HEY! I liked tim's layout.
green is awesome

The Anthropophagus said...

Actually, guys, I'm the only one who's made changes to the layout thus far...